Monday, April 18, 2011

SELLING DECORATED EGGS

   "What are these made of?"  "You mean these are real eggs?" Do you do all of these yourself?" " "How long does it take to make one?"  "What happens if you drop it?"

               I've been selling these beautiful creations at farmer's markets for Lenka since we were married. I'm not sure how I got started doing this, but all of a sudden, it became a big part of my springtime. Sunday morning drives from the East Bay through Franklin Canyon, over the San Rafael Bridge with the rising sun at my back, heading into foggy Marin and the historic Civic Center. Or the early Saturday morning trips through the Caldicott Tunnel past the old Tribune Building in Oakland, rattling and shaking on the Nimitz to the Grand Lake farmers market. Setting up the booth in the cold of a March or April dawn, bundled in layers of clothing, hurrying so I can run to the bakery booth for a fresh   croissant and steamy hot coffee. The camaraderie with the other vendors, especially the artisans, is one of the best parts of the experience. Artisans are a unique bunch, passionate about their art as well as the creations of others. I know that Lenka sees things differently, through artist's eyes if you will.  Artists are blessed with that talent.
             The market experiences have been varied- funny, frustrating, gratifying and... holy crap…In other words, like life. This year has been no different. Wonderful, beautiful people with heartwarming comments to me for Lenka and her art, wide eyed children, those special friends from the past- among them Mimi at the Oakland market, Chris in Marin, and Sybill from San Mateo, who has followed us from market to market to get her egg fix, and scores of others. When I get home from the market, drag myself in and collapse in my recliner and Lenka asks how it went, I almost always say, "I had a really fun day today."





                     
                    

1 comment:

  1. My favorite question is still, "Is it dishwasher safe?" or the look on their faces when they shake the egg and hear a sound from a little piece of dried yolk still captured inside.

    I also enjoy my memories at the farmer's market and glad you do too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete